When Should You Call 911? In the Event of a Life-Threatening Emergency, Forgo the Walk in Clinic in Gurnee or Waukegan, IL & Head to the Hospital
One of the common questions we receive at PromptMed Urgent Care is if we’re an emergency walk in clinic. While we are equipped to provide quick, expert healthcare to patients who are experiencing non-life-threatening injuries or illnesses, it is important to note that we are not a replacement for an emergency room when your life or the life of someone around you is at risk. If you think you’re having a heart attack or stroke, are experiencing severe bleeding, have suffered a significant burn, or have an injury to your head, call 911 immediately. In the event of a life-threatening emergency, a walk in clinic isn’t right for you.
How do you know if your situation is a true emergency? Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Are you concerned that your injury is life threatening?
- Is it possible that your limbs are at risk following an injury?
- Could your situation get worse by traveling to an emergency walk in clinic?
- Are you having difficulty breathing?
- Do you feel strong chest pain?
- Have you recently fainted?
- Are you struggling to speak or are you feeling numb and weak?
- Do you have a broken bone that is visible through the skin?
- Are you concerned that you have ingested poison or overdosed on drugs?
- Are you choking?
- Do you have an injury that won’t stop bleeding?
If you answered yes to any of these or similar questions, you need to immediately call 911 and/or visit your local hospital emergency room.
With that said, PromptMed Urgent Care is pleased to offer treatment to adults and children aged six months and up who are not experiencing such serious circumstances but need fast access to medical professionals. We can diagnose and treat most minor injuries and illnesses in under an hour, and we don’t require an appointment. To learn more, stop by our conveniently located urgent care center between Waukegan and Gurnee, IL.